Photo

English Bicycle Mechanic class- Bangkok?

class mechanics lessons bicycle bangkok

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kiri Brenner

Kiri Brenner

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:37 PM

I will be doing a 2-month cycling trip around S.E. starting in june and was wondering if anyone knew of a bicycle mechanics class in bangkok or chang mai that i could take in may? Alternatively, if this doesnt exist, does anyone know of a mechanic or shop that I could pay to teach me BASIC bike mechanics that will help get me through this first trip?

Thanks in advance!

-KB

#2 Paul Hamon

Paul Hamon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:17 PM

I know someone, I've sent him you link.

Regardless of why you ride a bicycle, you arrive at your destination feeling relaxed and energized!

#3 alex

alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 05:50 AM

Cycling in Thailand is very popular, there are little bike shops nearly everywhere.

A two month trip you probably only need to lube the chain once or twice and perhaps repair the odd puncture if the bike is set up properly to begin with,

If you set the bike up with puncture resistant Schwalbe Marathon tyres you likely wont ever need a bike shop en-route.

• The Wrench likes this

#4 Ulysses N. Owen

Ulysses N. Owen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

Kiri Brenner - Contact John Graham at jasrog_92136@yahoo.com

He is a certified mechanic with over 20 years experience. He offers basic mechanic skills course to residents and visitors to Thailand.

You would have to contact him directly and let him know the dates you are available to take the course. He can custom tailor the instruction if you let him  know the brand and model of the bike you will bringing with you to Thailand.

#5 John Graham

John Graham

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

Kiri,

Hello this is John. You can reply to me on this post or send me email directly to jasrog_92136@yahoo.com

I'm available in May anytime from the 10th through 20th (adjustable according to your schedule).

I can conduct a basic skills course for you in Bangkok or Hua Hin. Chiang Mai is possible, but an additional travel fee would apply.

The brand and model of the bike you are bringing with you is extremely helpful as I prefer to show people how to maintain and repair THEIR specific bicycle(s).

All the best,

John

#6 The Wrench

The Wrench

Bike GURU Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

Good points Alex. The suggestion of a high quality puncture resistant tire will avoid all but the worst case flat tire scenarios. Also, I see a lot of people riding without proper tire inflation. Maybe they don't check it regularly when they are on tour? It's even more important when touring as you're carrying extra weight in panniers and racks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: class, mechanics, lessons, bicycle, bangkok